BLACK EYED PEA CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15-oz) can black eyed peas, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup creamed corn
- 1 (4-oz) can diced jalapeños
- 1 (4.5-oz) can diced green chiles
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain fat. Set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, eggs, buttermilk and oil.
- Stir cooked sausage, black eyed peas, cheese, creamed corn, jalapeños and green chiles into cornbread batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- You can freeze baked cornbread for up to a month. To reheat, thaw and bake covered at 350ºF for 30 minutes and uncovered for 10 minutes. To reheat frozen, baked covered at 350ºF for 1 hour and uncovered for 10 minutes.