Both versions tasted great (I had my family all taste test them). Everyone liked both equally but the vital wheat gluten version is much more similar to traditional pizza crust if that’s what you are going for.
Now that we’ve got all that out of the way..let’s get on to the recipe for the best low-carb pizza you will ever experience.
- 3/4 cup warm water OR 1/2 cup warm water IF using xanthan gum/psyllium husks
- 1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast (I used quick-rise yeast)
- 1 tsp white sugar (THIS WILL BE EATEN BY THE YEAST, IT IS NECESSARY, it will not affect the final product)
- 1/4 cup(60g) 14% sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups(168g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup(64g) Vital Wheat Gluten OR 1 tbsp xanthan gum & 1/4 cup ground psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup(30g) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2tsp Italian spices (optional)
- In a large bowl, add your warm water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 5min.
- While waiting, combine all of your dry ingredients in a separate bowl (whisk with a fork), set aside.
- In another small bowl, microwave your sour cream for roughly 20-25s (just until slightly warm).
- Once your yeast has foamed(make sure it is not old!), add your olive oil and sour cream and stir together.
- Next stir in your flour until a dough begins to form.
- Use your hands to knead the dough for roughly 3-4min.
- Form the dough into a neat ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with saran wrap and place somewhere warm for 40min (I usually heat my oven to a low-temp for a while before-hand then shut it off and leave the dough in there either with the door open or closed depending on how hot it is).
- After 40min, pre-heat your oven to 450*F(Or 400*F for thicker dough).
- Remove the dough from the bowl(it should now be about 1.5x its original size or larger(less if using the xanthan gum/psyllium version)).
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment OR greased with oil, roll out into desired shape and thickness(I would have done mine just a little thinner if I had the option to do it over!)
- Brush with olive oil(optional) and either..top with whatever your heart desires then bake for about 10-12min or until lightly browned for a THIN CRUST. OR for a thicker crust, bake at a lower temp(350-400*F) until partially cooked, then add your topping and place back in the oven at 450*F to finish cooking! Enjoy!
- I topped mine with low-carb barbecue sauce(this one), barbecue chicken breast chunks, basil, oregano, garlic powder, grated parmesan cheese and mozzarella.